For Those Who Want Power, Performance and Portability.
The sun just broke the horizon, but your day began hours ago—the second you started your trusty Yamaha Portable. Maybe you’re skimming the marsh in a jon boat during duck season, pushing a sailboat ‘til the wind kicks up or hopping to the cuddy on a tender. Wherever the day takes you, these nimble, lightweight, efficient portables are up for the ride. Available in a range of horsepower from the F20, to the F2.5, including the redesigned F8 with 7.5 percent more displacement, these 1- or 2-cylinder dynamos provide big performance in streamlined designs.
Here’s why so many boaters carry Yamaha reliability with them, wherever they go:
Incredibly Light: Yamaha Portables are incredibly light, weighing as little as 37 pounds. Talk about punch you can pack.
Easy to Carry: Select models feature built-in front and rear carry handles for maximum portability. Plus, recent re-designs have made several of our portables, well, even more portable. The F9.9 is 12% lighter than previous designs, and we’ve trimmed 23 pounds from our F6.
Max Maneuverability: Our 5-Step Trim Adjustment and 3-Step Shallow Water Drive System (on select models) protects your propeller in skinny water, making these pintsized powerhouses extremely maneuverable and getting you where you need to go.
Fuel Efficiency: The smaller the motor, the less fuel it consumes, true. However, one of Yamaha’s portables actually made it into the Guinness Book of World Records for the most miles traveled on one gallon of gas, going 67.27 continuous statute miles.
Smart Innovation: Our Easy Oil Retention System allows the F6, F4 and F2.5 to be stored on their sides or front grip without oil leakage. Our F15 and F20 designs feature a water-cooled fuel pump, boosting power and preventing warm weather starting issues like vapor lock.
Power and Performance Benefits
- Maximum Overall Performance: Microcomputer Ignition adjusts timing to maintain optimum engine performance, economy and power under all conditions. (F8 and up)
- Ultra-Low Emissions: All Yamaha portables are California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.) Three-Star Rated for Ultra-Low Emissions. All Yamaha portable outboards meet federal EPA requirements.
- Fuel Efficiency: Of course, small motors use less fuel, but the Yamaha F4 actually set a world record for fuel efficiency. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, an F4 traveled 67.27 continuous statute miles on one gallon of gas.
Reliability and Durability Benefits
- Propeller Protection: Yamaha’s Shallow Water Drive (standard on all tiller handle models except the F2.5) helps keep the propeller and lower unit out of harm’s way in shallow water.
- Extended Engine Life: A Freshwater Flush Device allows you to flush the engine without starting it, for maximum convenience, durability and engine life. (Available on F15 and F20.)
- Corrosion Protection: Combined with our proprietary alloy (YDC-30), our exclusive Phaze Five™ electro-deposited, anti-corrosive paint system provides a tough, five-layer barrier against corrosion. This protection is standard on all Yamaha portable four-stroke engines.
- Warranty Protection: All Yamaha four strokes are protected by our Three-Year Limited Warranty for pleasure use. Beyond that, Yamaha Extended Service (Y.E.S.) plans are available, for continued coverage after your three-year factory warranty expires.
Convenience and Control Benefits
- Max Maneuverability: 5-Step Trim Adjustment and 3-Step Shallow Water Drive System (on select models) protects your propeller in skinny water, makes these pintsized powerhouses extremely maneuverable and gets you where you need to go.
- Efficient Operation: Microcomputer Ignition automatically adjusts timing to maintain optimum engine performance, economy and power under all conditions. (F8 and up)
- Easy Engine Flushing: A Freshwater Flush Device allows you to flush the engine without starting it, for maximum convenience. (Available on F15 and F20.)
- Easy Storage: Yamaha’s F2.5, F4, and F6 feature a pressurized oiling system, our Easy Storage Oil Retention System. This means they can be stored on either side or on the front grip without fear of oil leakage.
- Comfortable Operation: The Tiller Handle features a dynamically balanced and dampened large twist-grip throttle, 180° steering and large F-N-R shift handle, for maximum comfort, convenience and control. (Available on F6 and F4.)
- Lightweight Portability: Yamaha portables feature SOHC (Single Overhead Camshaft) or OHV (Overhead Valve) configurations and weigh as little as 37 pounds (dry weight). Outboard power doesn’t get much more portable than this.
- Streamlined Intake Manifold
- Labyrinth Exhaust
- Acceleration Pump
- Four Stroke Engine Design
- California C.A.R.B. Ultra Low Emissions 3 Star Rating
- Engine Warning System Function
- Thermostatic Controlled Engine Temperature
- Wet Sump Lubrication
- Waist Driveshaft
- High Output Alternator
- Stainless Steel Driveshaft, Prop Shaft, Shift Shaft and Steering Tube
- CDI Microcomputer*
- Fishing Line Protector
- YDC-30 Aluminum Alloy
- Sacrificial Anodes
- Built-In Carrying Handle
- Dual Transom Clamps
- Shallow Water Drive
- Pilot Water Hole
- Electric Start ("E" Model)
- Steering Friction Lever (Tiller Models)
- Long Span Mounting System
- Long Multifunctional Tiller Handle
- Oil Strainer
- Engine Type: Two-Cylinder
- Displacement: 212 cc (12.9 ci)
- Bore x Stroke: F9.9 - 56 x 43mm (2.20 x 1.70 in.) T9.9 - 56 x 42mm (2.20 x 1.69 in.)
- Prop Shaft Horsepower: 9.9hp @ 5500rpm
- Compression Ratio: 9.46:1
- Fuel Induction: SOHC
- Exhaust: Through Propeller
- Intake: Carburetor
- Ignition: CDI Micro Computer
- Spark Plug: BR6HS-10
- Alternator Output: 6 Amp (requires optional rectifier/regulator)
- Starting System: M = Manual | E = Electric
- Lubrication: Wet Sump
- Engine Oil Capacity: 0.8L (0.85 qt)
- Full Throttle RPM Range: 5000 ~ 6000 rpm
- Cooling: Water/Thermostatic Control
- Recommended Engine Oil: Yamalube® 4M (See owner's manual)
- Recommended Fuel: Regular Unleaded (Minimum Pump Octane 87)
- Recommended Fuel Filtration: Yamaha Mini 10-Micron Fuel/Water Separating Filter (external)
- Ethanol Blend Limit: 10% Maximum
- Gear Ratio: (27:13) 2.08:1
- Gear Shift: Forward, Neutral, Reverse
- Shaft Length: X=25 in.
- Degree of Tilt: 71 deg.
- Degree of Trim: 4 positions
- C.A.R.B. Rating: 3-Star
- Steering Angle (maximum): F9.9 - 43 deg. from center, either direction T9.9 - 38 deg. from center, either direction
- Warranty: 3 Year Limited Pleasure Boat - 1 Year Limited Commercial